Residential Counsellor / Day Program Counsellors
- AgencyThe Salvation Army Lawson Ministries
- Position Residential Counsellors/Day Program Counsellors
- Hours31 hours per week
The Salvation Army Lawson Ministries is a community-based, residential and day program designed to support adults with dual diagnosis including developmental disabilities and psychiatric issues.
Programs include supported independent living, shared group living, apartment programs, and an individualized day program called STRIVE. We also support a few individuals in an outreach capacity who live independently in their own apartments. The majority of our programs are located in West Hamilton.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
1. To promote an environment and programming is both supportive and nurturing.
2. To ensure that the residents’ and/or day program participants’ physical needs (food, clothing, shelter, etc.) are well met. This may include cleaning of the home, participation in and coordination of meal preparations as well provision of Personal Needs Care.
3. To assist the residents and/or day program participants in meeting their emotional and psychological needs.
4. Being involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of treatment/rehabilitation plans in conjunction with residents and/or day program participants, team members and other staff as well as outside agency professionals.
5. To have a working knowledge of the application and maintenance of treatment procedures for each individual resident and/or day participant in your specific program.
6. To support the efforts made to meet residents’ and/or day participants’ spiritual needs by way of demonstrated interest and participation in programming activities where necessary.
7. Demonstrate an understanding of the psychological and social dynamics of working with developmental and behaviourally challenged individuals.
8. Working cooperatively with residential and day program team members in providing coordinated and consistent approaches to residents.
9. To endeavour to develop strong therapeutic relationships with residents and/or day participants and their families.
10. Ensure the proper and accurate recording of all daily logs, shift reports, incident reports, etc.
11. Ensure that all required professional appointments for primary clients are scheduled and direction given to the staff accompanying.
12. Responsible for the administration and accurate documentation of and potential ordering of medication.
13. Responsible for the general upkeep, cleanliness and maintenance of residence and/or program areas of the day program and the main and individual office areas.
14. Responsible to assist with any type of client emergencies that may arise during the shift.
15. Responsible for transportation of clients to and from specific destinations including but not limited to programming sites, doctor’s appointments, planned activities, etc.
16. May be responsible to carry the front-line on-call phone during shift and respond to any issues arising during the shift as well as to be the liaison with Administrative on-call and the Admin. Team, verbally and through correspondence.
16. To promote greater independence and strive towards the highest quality of living possible.
17. Other duties as assigned by the Program Coordinator, Program Manager or Executive Director.
The successful candidate must: 1. Developmental Social Worker Diploma or equivalent in Human Services field. 2. ASD Background and experience working with difficult behaviours an asset 3. Minimum 2 years’ experience working with adults with developmental disabilities and vulnerable populations, essential. 4. Experience in developing, implementing and evaluation of effective individualized program plans. 5. Experience in assessing and networking with community and accessing necessary resources. 6. Current First Aid & Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation with Defibrillation training and current Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certification required 7. Pharmacology training and experience in medication administration necessary. 8. Lifts & Transfer training an asset. 9. Personal Care Support experience an asset. 10. Must have valid, full driver’s license as well as Driver’s Abstract required and vehicle an asset. 11. Current Police Check required. 12. Ability to work independently and as part of a team to provide a supportive and nurturing environment. 13. Good communication skills – verbal, written and e-mail 14. French language written and verbal skills an asset 15. Computer literacy necessary. Provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening (where applicable) that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the National Canadian Policy Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment. May require screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry. Support for and an understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada. NOTE: Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered